Vatican to Colosseum
More than 6 million people visit Vatican City annually for its marvelous art and history exhibited in Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica, and St. Peter’s Square.
And almost 95% of these visitors complete their Vatican trip with a visit to the Colosseum.
The Colosseum is an elliptical amphitheater in the heart of Rome, Italy.
So if you also want to complete your Vatican trip with a Colosseum tour, we are here to help you.
In this article, we’ll talk about the easiest and most convenient transportation ways from the Vatican to Colosseum.
We’ll also give you insights on Colosseum tickets for a smooth visit.
Distance: 3.6 kilometers (by walk from St. Peter’s Square)
- 12 Minutes (by Subway/Metro/Train)
- 23 Minutes (by Bus)
- 20 Minutes (By Car)
- 20 Minutes (By Taxi)
- 1 Hour (By Walk)
Vatican Ticket Price: € 29 ($ 32) / Adult
Vatican to Colosseum by Subway/Metro
Using Subway is one of the best ways to get to the Colosseum from Vatican City.
Thanks to the advanced subway lines throughout Rome, visitors can have smooth transportation between these famous attractions.
Follow these simple directions to travel from Vatican City to Colosseum.
- Get to the nearest Subway station/ Metro Station to Vatican City, The Ottaviano-S Pietro station. It’s a 10-minute walk from St. Peter’s Square.
- Once you reach the subway station, follow the signs toward Line A (Red Line) direction.
- You can get your subway tickets from automated vending machines or at the ticket booth in the subway station.
- Get on the train heading toward Roma Termini Station. Keep an eye on the electronic boards and listen to all the announcements in the metro from Vatican to Colosseum to ensure you are heading in the right direction.
- Stay on the train until you reach the Termini Station, The main train station in Rome, and a major Transportation Hub.
- Once you reach Termini Station, board the Line B (Blue Line) train running toward Laurentina.
- After spending 3 minutes inside the train and crossing two stops, Alight at the Colosseo station.
- The Colosseo is the nearest station to the Colosseum. Once you reach the station, you can see the attraction.
- Just take a short walk after you exit the station, and you will reach the Colosseum.
Bus from Vatican to Colosseum
Another great way to reach Colosseum from Vatican City is by using the Bus services.
Here are the simple steps to use the bus for transportation between Vatican City to Colosseum.
- Start by walking to the nearest bus stop to Vatican City. The Cavalleggeri/S. Pietro, is just 550 meters from St. Peter’s Square. (The nearest bus stop can change based on your exact location in Vatican City)
- After you reach the bus station, you can board Bus Line 87, 81, 40, 64, or even Bus Line 70 for a scenic view of Rome.
- All these buses lead to or cross the Colosseum. Just make sure you check the schedule of these at the bus stop. You can also ask locals for suggestions.
- Once inside the bus, you need to validate your transportation tickets to avoid fines. Depending on availability, you can buy your tickets at tobacco shops, newsstands, or some bus stops.
- You must watch the electronic boards and listen to the conductor or any announcements describing the different stops until you reach the nearest bus stop to the Colosseum.
- Colosseo is the nearest bus stop to the Colosseum. However, depending on the bus you boarded, this stop can change. Conductors always make announcements marking the nearby attraction at each stop, or you can also ask locals.
- Once you reach Colosseo, it’s a 5-minute walk to the Colosseum.
Vatican to Colosseum by Car
We’ll now learn about how to drive to Colosseum from Vatican City.
So, if you wish to drive to the Colosseum from Vatican City, follow the steps below.
- To drive to Colosseum, start by exiting the Vatican City near St. Peter’s Square.
- Now head southeast on Via Della Conciliazione until you reach the Tiber River.
- Cross the bridge over the Tiber River (Sant’Angelo Bridge), and get on the Lungotevere road alongside the river.
- As you proceed on this road, you will pass through the famous Roman landmarks such as Piazza Navona and the Roman Forum.
- Follow the designated path, and you will reach Colosseum in less than 3-4 minutes.
- Find parking near Colosseum to park your ride.
- After parking your Car, you can take a short walk to Colosseum and explore the attractions.
- For Underground arena exploration, you will need a Colosseum Guided Tour.
Taxi from Vatican to Colosseum
If you are not using your vehicle and want to avoid getting a metro or bus, you can always get a taxi from the Vatican to Colosseum.
Here are some steps that you can follow to get a taxi from Vatican City to reach Colosseum.
- To get a taxi from Vatican City, walk to the nearby taxi stand or use a ride-hailing app from your smartphone.
- The nearest taxi stand to Vatican City is Stazione Taxi Piazza Risorgimento, just meters from St. Peter’s Square.
- Now, after you reach the taxi stand, you need to wait for a taxi or ask any nearby taxi driver to give you a ride to Colosseum.
Or, if you have booked a taxi online, wait at your designated pickup location for our taxi driver.
- After boarding the taxi, update the driver with your destination details. Inform the driver that you want to get to Colosseum or Piazza del Colosseo.
- Taxis in Rome run on a metered fare system. That means as soon as you start your ride, the driver will start the meter, and you will have to pay Vatican to Colosseum taxi fare calculated by that meter.
- So, remind your driver to turn on the meter at the start of your journey for transparent fare prices.
- These fare prices may vary depending on the luggage and night trips.
- Now, relax and enjoy your trip from the Vatican to Colosseum, admiring the scenic views of the capital city of Italy.
- This taxi will take 20 minutes to cover the distance from the Vatican to the Colosseum. However, this time may vary depending on the traffic conditions and your starting point.
- Once you reach Colosseum, the taxi will drop you at the main entrance or any specific drop-off point at your convenience.
- Pay the fare displayed on the Taxi-meter, and you are ready to explore the Colosseum.
Remember to have cash on hand for payment, as not all taxis in Rome accept credit cards. Monitoring the taximeter and ensuring the fare is accurate is also advisable.
Vatican to Colosseum walk
If you are up for a mild walking session, walking to the Colosseum is the best thing you can do after completing your trip to Vatican Museum.
To walk from Vatican City to the Colosseum on foot, follow these directions:
- Exit the Vatican Museums and head east on Viale Vaticano toward Via Santamaurao.
- Walk along Viale Vaticano until you reach Via di Porta Angelica. Cross the street and continue walking straight.
- Via di Porta Angelica will get merged into Via di Porta Cavalleggeri. Continue walking on Via di Porta Cavalleggeri until you reach Piazza del Risorgimento.
- At Piazza del Risorgimento, take the third exit onto Via Crescenzio.
- Continue walking straight on Via Crescenzio until you reach the Tiber River.
- Cross the Tiber River using Ponte Principe Amedeo Savoia Aosta.
- After crossing the bridge, walk straight onto Lungotevere dei Fiorentini.
- Walk along Lungotevere dei Fiorentini until you reach Ponte Sant’Angelo.
- Cross Ponte Sant’Angelo and continue straight onto Via della Conciliazione.
- Walk straight along Via della Conciliazione, leading you directly to the Colosseum.
The walking distance from Vatican to Colosseum is approximately 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) and generally takes 45 minutes to 1 hour.
The time it takes to walk to the Colosseum from the Vatican will depend on your starting location, your walking pace, and your chosen route.
We advise you to use a Map or a navigation app to avoid inconvenience.
Best way to get from the Vatican to Colosseum – Additional Tip
Now that we have discussed all the transportation options from the Vatican to Colosseum, we need to decide our best option.
So, to do that, we need to consider three things.
- The time it takes to reach Colosseum from Vatican City
- The cost spent on this tour
- The availability of transportation
Considering all these factors, the best way to reach the Colosseum from Vatican City is by Subways/Metro/Underground Train.
With tickets available from €2 ($2) and a travel time of around 10 minutes, this is the fastest way to reach Colosseum from Vatican city.
1. How do I get from Vatican City to the Colosseum?
There are a lot of transportation options available that you can use to get to the Colosseum from Vatican City.
2. How far apart are Vatican and Colosseum?
The distance between Vatican City and the Colosseum is 3.6 Kilometers (2.2 miles).
3. How long does it take to walk from the Vatican City and the Colosseum?
To walk from Vatican City to the Colosseum Rome, it will take around 50 to 60 minutes.
4. How much is a taxi from the Vatican to the Colosseum?
The taxis in Rome operated on a metered fare system. They will turn on their meter at the start of the journey and you need to pay the amount shown by the meter at the end of the trip. Typically a taxi ride from the Vatican to Colosseum costs around €6 to €8 ($6 to $8).
5. Do you need a tour to get into the Colosseum?
You don’t need a guided tour to get into the Colosseum. There are self-guided tickets available to explore the Colosseum on your own.
However, there are certain areas, such as Arena and Underground, that you can only access with a Guided tour.
6. What is the most cost-effective way to get from Vatican City to Colosseum?
The most cost-effective and best way to get from the Vatican to Colosseum is via Subways/Metro/Underground trains.
The tickets are available for €2 ($2), and you can reach the Colosseum in less than 10 minutes.
7. What is the fastest way to get from Vatican City to Colosseum?
The fastest way to get to Colosseum from the Vatican is by using Subways/ Metro/Underground Trains. This trip will take just 10 minutes.
8. Is there a direct bus between Vatican City and Colosseum?
Yes, you can use bus lines 87 and 81 for a direct commute between Vatican city and Colosseum.
9. Is there a direct train between Vatican City and Colosseum?
You can board Line B (Blue Line) train from Roma Termini to run toward Laurentina.
This will take you directly to the Colosseo, the nearest metro/subway/train station to the Colosseum.
10. How far is it from Vatican City to Colosseum?
The distance from the Vatican to the Colosseum is 3.6 kilometers (2.2 miles).
11. How do I travel from Vatican City to Colosseum without a car?
You don’t need to have a Car to travel from Vatican City to the Colosseum.
You can use Subways, Buses, Taxi or even walk to Colosseum at your convenience.
12. How long does it take to get from Vatican City to Colosseum?
It will take around 10 minutes to get to the Colosseum from Vatican City if you travel via Metro/Subway.
However, this travel time may change if you choose other transportation methods like Car, Taxi, or Bus.
13. Where do I catch the Vatican City to Colosseum bus from?
14. Where do I catch the Vatican City to Colosseum train from?
You can catch the train to Colosseum from Roma Termini.
15. Where does the Vatican City to Colosseum bus arrive?
16. How close is the Colosseum to the Vatican?
The Colosseum is just 3.6 km (2.2 miles) from the Vatican.
17. How to get from Colosseum to the Vatican?
If you want to travel Colosseum to the Vatican, you can use multiple transportation options like Subways, Trains, Metro, Buses, Taxi, and Cars.
For more information, click here.
18. How to get to Vatican City from Colosseum?
If you want to reach Vatican City from Colosseum, you can use a lot of Transportation options available like Bus, Metro, Car, Taxi or you can even walk to Vatican from Colosseum.
For More Information, Click here.
19. How to get from Roma Termini to Vatican?
You can use a direct metro from Roma Termini to Vatican. Get on the metro ‘line A’ from Roma Termini to Ottaviano station.
The trip duration will be around 34 minutes and the ride fare will be €1.50.
Know More About Our Vatican Tickets
Vatican Skip the Line Tickets: This ticket allows you to Skip the queue outside the Museum’s entrance, and you get to enjoy priority access to the Vatican Museums.
Last Minute Vatican Ticket: If you wish to visit the Vatican Museum but haven’t booked the ticket in advance. This same-day ticket will be your lifesaver and help you access the museums.
Early Access Vatican Ticket: Early access Vatican Ticket allows you to visit the Museum before it opens for the general public. Visit the museum peacefully in a less crowded environment.
Guided Tour of Vatican: With this ticket, you will get an expert guide to lead your tour and walk you through the museum telling interesting stories and facts related to exhibitions, arts, architecture and the Vatican museum itself.
Vatican Night Tour: Buy this Ticket and you can visit the museum during night hours or evening hours, giving a whole amazing experience of a Vatican visit.
Private Tour of Vatican: With this ticket, you get a guide dedicated to your group only. With this private tour, you will get to spend more time with your guide and ask him about everything you want to know about the Vatican.
VIP Vatican Tour: This ticket will get you a VIP Tour experience of the Vatican, exploring and learning about everything with luxury.
City Pass: If you don’t want to burn a hole in your pocket, buy separate tickets for every attraction you wish to visit in Rome, Buy a City Pass which gives discounted entry to a lot of Roman attractions.